Now that you’ve decided to move from your home
to a condominium, here are ten steps to simplify
the moving process:
- A few of your favourite things
Be realistic about what you can bring with you.
Bring only the things that hold the most memories
such as photographs and personal treasures.
- A place for everything
- You will have less space, so think very carefully
about where your possessions will go. Start with
the floor plan. Build your furniture around your
favourite place to sit. The biggest mistake is to
bring too much.
Start sorting early, but limit it to a couple of
hours a day. Create 3 piles; things to keep;
thing for family and friends; and third for
donation or recycling.
- Allow yourself time to say goodbye
- Take the time to go through your lifetime possessions.
- Share or reminisce about the memories with family member or friend. It is the hardest
part of downsizing, but the most important part.
- Things at the back of the closet
If you haven’t worn or used items for a long time,
it’s probably a good time to let them go.
- What to do with what is left
Charities, your local place of worship and antique
dealers will often take things. Finally, there are
firms that will haul the rest away at a cost.
- Book your moving date
Get quotes and references from several movers.
Book your move for the morning and mid-week
when it is less hectic.
- Keep track of what you pack
As you are packing, keep an inventory list of
what goes in each box and label what room it
is going in.
- Moving day
Set aside valuables, medication and important
papers. Transport these yourself.
- Enjoy your new home
By planning ahead, you can have a successful
move and start enjoying your new home from
the day you move in.